Diet in Dermatology

Importance of Integrative Diet in Dermatology

Dr Prasanna KS, Dermatologist, Institute of Applied Dermatology, Kasaragod, Kerala




One of my relatives told me about mouth-watering `Dalgona Coffee’ and sent me the recipe, upon my request. So, after a hectic day with discussions, I prepared it at around 7 pm, thinking that it will be ready by fifteen minutes. Since I do not have a beater in my kitchen, I used a spoon to beat the coffee, but took nearly 30 minutes to get the required consistency. But it was our dinner time, so I thought to drink it after dinner at around 10 pm. It was my first experience with Dalgona. After going to bed I had an uneasy feeling at night with increased intestinal movement and could not sleep that whole night. I was thinking about whether beating the coffee would increase the air cavities to make it so fluffy and shiny? Whether this air cavities affect the digestion process. My experience with this process made me think, how diet is essential in one`s life.

 Every patient who comes for dermatology consultation is worried about diet. Always they will be asking whether we can eat fish, meat, etc. Previously I was not giving much importance to this. But after my coffee experience, I gave a thought. There are some diseases in dermatology where a correct dietary protocol is mandatory. The list goes like this

  • Eczema which includes Atopic dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis (nickel, etc.)
  • Urticaria
  • Psoriasis
  • Vitiligo
  • Xanthelasma
  • Dermatitis herpetiform
  • Obesity and so Acanthosis nigricans
  • Arthritis and increased uric acid level
  • Hyperhidrosis
  • Hair fall due to anemia and vitamin deficiency
  • Metabolic syndrome
  • Patients on immune suppressive to prevent gastritis
  • Gluten-free diet in most of the diseases
  • Acne vulgaris
  • Rosacea
  • Genetic and metabolic disorder (phenylketonuria, porphyria, G6 P D deficiency)
  • Nutritional deficiencies like Kwashiorkor, marasmus, phrynoderma, pellagra, scurvy and acrodermatitis enteropathica



Patients in our country both rich and poor are more concerned about the diet, what to eat, what to avoid in the hope that it will help them to cure their disease at the earliest. So, dermatologists can help the patients along with dietitian to prepare a proper protocol considering their cravings, digestion, calorie intake without compromising the nutritional value. Avoiding certain things, yet to maintain a balanced diet is difficult but possible, to achieve a cure. Besides, the concept of Ayurveda which says Virudda aahara (like eating fish and curd together) is harmful to health. According to Ayurveda, eating 3 hours before sleep is a scientifically proved now in patients with Gastro-oesophageal reflux. By the combined effort of Ayurveda and dietician along with dermatologists what we call in our institute as the integrative approach, gives a smile with satisfaction in our tired patients.


Comments

Unknown said…
Good, many aspects about diet to be studied, article points the importance towards this aspect

Popular Posts